I was reading in the Joseph Smith Manual this morning that we are reading for Relief Society this year and came across this great quote. This quote sums up the way I feel we should be in regards to other people and their beliefs.
"If I esteem mankind to be in error, shall I bear them down? No. I will lift them up, and in their own way too, if I cannot persuade them my way is better; and I will not seek to compel man to believe as I do, only by the force of reasoning, for truth will cut its own way."
"We ought always to be aware of those prejudices which sometimes so strangely present themselves, and are so congenial to human nature, against our friends, neighbors, and brethren of the world, who choose to differ from us in opinion and in matters of faith. Our religion is between us and our God, Their religion is between them and their God."
"When we see virtuous qualities in men, we should always acknowledge them, let their understanding be what it may in relation to creeds and doctrine; for all men are, or ought to be free, possessing unalienable rights, and the high and noble qualifications of the laws of nature and of self-preservation, to think and act and say as they please, while they maintain a due respect to the rights and privileges of all other creatures, infringing upon none. This doctrine I do most heartily subscribe to and practice."
"All persons are entitled to their agency, for God has so ordained it. He has constituted mankind moral agents, and given them power to choose good or evl; to seek after that which is good, by pursuing, the pathway of holiness in this life, which brings peace of mind, and joy in the Holy Ghost here, and a fulness of joy and happiness at His right hand heereafter; or to pursue an evil course, going on in sin and rebellion against God, an eternal loss in the world to come. since the God of heaven has left these things optional with every individual, we do not wish to deprive them of it. We only wish to act the part of a faithful watchman, agreeable to the word of the Lord to Ezekiel the prophet (Ezekiel chap. 33 verses 2, 3, 4, 5), and leave it for others to do as seemeth them good."
"Meddle not with any man for his religion: all governments ought to permit every man to enjoy his religion unmolested. No man is authorized to take away life in consequence of difference of religion, which all laws and governments ought to tolerate and protect, right or wrong."
"We will...cultivate peace and friendship with all, mind our own business, and come off with flying colors, respected, because, in respecting others, we respect ourselves."
"Although I never feel to force my doctrine upon any person, I rejoice to see prejudice give way to truth, and the traditions of men dispersed by the pure principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ."
This came from "Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith" pg. 345-46
No comments:
Post a Comment