














































So I was planning on making a post everday but obviously that didn't happen. We had 2 1/2 great days in Nauvoo. I didn't want to leave. We stayed at the Nauvoo Inn & Suites which was awesome. We saw Just Plain Anna Amanda, Rendezvous in Old Nauvoo, High Hopes and Riverboats, and Sunset on the Mississippi. They all were awesome. We intended to see the BYU folk dancers which arrived in Nauvoo yesterday evening for their first performance. However, the theater was packed that they were performing in and the visitor's center decided to broadcast the performance into their other theater. However the sound wasn't coming in very well and the camera wasn't very closeup to the dancers so we decided to leave. They told us they were doing a performance later but it was too late for us with the kids so unfortunately we didn't get to see it. Everything was awesome. We went to many of the houses. We went to the post office, blacksmith, shoe making, and many others. I got flyers from every single place we went that tells about them. We went to the Joseph Smith Historical Sites as well (Mansion House, Nauvoo House, Gravesites, etc.) which are owned by the Community of Christ Church. We first watched a video and then went on a tour of the sites. It was very interesting. I am now quite fascinated with how life was in Nauvoo and want to know more about Nauvoo and Joseph Smith and other people who lived in Nauvoo. I'd like to know more about how the Community of Christ Church came about. I knew there was a reorganized church but didn't really realized that they believed in Joseph Smith and in many of the same things we do as mormons. All in all I have many things I would like to learn more about and the thought has crossed my mind that it would be fun to write a historical fiction type book about Nauvoo and how things were there. I'm sure there are books out there like that but I'd like to do research and read as many books as I can find about Nauvoo and I have all summer to do that. Today we went to Carthage and saw the Jail. It is so amazing and humbling to be in these places where the Prophet Joseph Smith walked and to have some of the original floors and doors and other items there that were there when Joseph Smith and other people we hear about from the past had walked on, used, and touched. It's neat to think about. We stopped in Hannibal, Missouri on our way to our cousins house in O'Fallon, Missouri. We will be here for a couple of days and then we will be headed to Branson. I am including some of my favorite pictures from the past few days! Enjoy! =0)
4 comments:
Nice pictures! The Community of Christ is what is left of the so-called "Reorganized" church that was started in the 1860's by a group of men who thought that Joseph Smith III should be the president of the Church instead of Brigham Young (most of these men were apostates from the original Church, the rest had never belonged to the Church at all). Today the CoC tries to play down its connection to Joseph Smith in an attempt to be accepted into the mainstream Christian world. They don't accept the Temple ordinances that Joseph introduced in the original Nauvoo temple. Today there are only about 250,000 members worldwide.
Thanks for that explanation. They talked about some of that in the video they showed. I had forgotten some of it mainly because I have heard so much information these last few days. The last time I was in Nauvoo I was around 10 years old which was about 20 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Nauvoo, and the Community of Christ's properties there. I'll be happy to dialog with you about the Community of Christ,if you're intereted... brad.bryant@hp.com
I may take you up on that offer but it may not be until after I get back from my vacation around the 16thf
Post a Comment