A couple days ago, I turned 35. It was a great day. I spent the day with my mom and sister. We saw Lemurs in Madagascar at the Clark Planetarium, went to a Lego Convention, and went out to eat at Chinese Gourmet. In the midst of all this cool stuff we were doing, I got a text from The Improvables which stated that since its my birthday I can go for free. Well, given the fact that 2 people I feel the need to support in their awesomeness were performing that night I decided that would be the best way to end my birthday. I was proven correct in that assumption when I want.
When I arrived, the cashier told me it would be $6. I asked to sign in because I knew I would be able to go for free, but I didn't want to tell her why. I just wanted to be able to sign in. I am not the kind of person that likes to draw attention to herself. While I can deal with it if others draw attention to me, its a rare occasion when I will bring it upon myself. For example, I went to Applebees with my writing group the day before my birthday and while the thought crossed my mind to mention to Tony (our server) that is was my birthday and someone else's birthday in our group the next day, I did not. I'm sure that means we missed out on a free dessert because of it, but so be it.
So, this cashier at the Improvables said she would point me out in the audience if they asked if it was anybody's birthday. My immediate thought was I couldn't remain anonymous anyway since two people in the Improvables that night know me. There was no way for me to hide.
I went and sat in the fourth row and took off my shoes because my feet were a little sore from being out and about all day in new shoes. I was enjoying the show and having a good laugh, when low and behold the emcee for the night mentioned that there was somebody with a birthday in the audience. Of course the cashier lady (sorry I don't know her name) pointed to me in the audience, though I believe Lorin had asked the birthday person to raise their hand and I had or was in the process of doing so. They wanted me to go down to the stage to participate in the next game (and by participate it was sit in a chair and look pretty, though I think it probably ended up looking more like I was trying not to be blinded by the spotlights). So, I had to put my shoes back on and I think the cashier lady didn't think I was going to go because I didn't start heading down right away. I started coming down the stairs to the front and I prefer to have something to hold unto since spraining my ankle roughly eight years ago. I appreciated Cameron's gentlemanly behavior and observance as he offered his hand to help me the rest of the way down the stairs. I'll be honest I didn't hear much of what people were saying on my way down the stairs. I remember Ricky saying something about it being perfect that I was wearing a Doctor who shirt, since he had just mentioned something about me having a companion (the cashier sat in a chair next to me). While I know there was funny things said (which I may have thought funnier if I was still in the audience and not being blinded by the spotlights), I didn't completely comprehend what was being said every time. While, I can be very quick witted and funny not many people see it. I have thought a few times that I should go to some of the classes the Improvables do to practice that sort of thing. Though somewhat awkward and I was relieved to get back to my seat and take my shoes off again, I totally would have set up there and be blinded again anytime, as long as I don't have to say anything. That may seem somewhat contradictory as I had just said that I am quick witted, but if I am put on the spot my mind completely goes blank. I think that's why I would like to do the classes because maybe I could learn how to keep my mind from going blank when I am put on the spot.
The rest of the performance was great. I felt bad for Jon as he kept having to roll around on the floor. It was funny for a bit but then I just felt bad for him. He is a good sport though. I hope that whatever is going on with his toe recovers quickly.
After the performance, I put my shoes back on and headed down the stairs. The first person to greet me in the high five line up was Cameron, however instead of a high five he wished me happy birthday and gave me a hug. I wasn't expecting a hug from a good looking man on my birthday, but anything can happen. I think pretty much everyone else wished me happy birthday as they gave me a high five. Ricky asked how much time left I had of my birthday (the answer was 15 minutes). Last but most definitely not least was Jon. He told me about his idea they had been discussing backstage, which didn't happen because they didn't play the game that his idea would have worked with. The idea consisted of him translating for his wife that could only speak Wookie. I believe there was a song involved. That would have been awesome, though my Wookie speaking skills are basically nonexistent. I better work on that. I appreciate him putting that much thought into it even though it didn't happen.
My birthday was great and I appreciate all the people that were a part of it. Thanks to my mom and sister for all the cool stuff we did that day! Thanks to all my great friends on facebook for wishing me a happy birthday! Thanks to the Improvables for ending my birthday with a bang! I have great people in my life! I am very blessed! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment