“What I do not wish others to do to me, that also I wish not to do to them.” Tzu Kung from Confucius The Analects.
This quote is along the same lines of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." This doesn't mean that if somebody does something to you that you don't like that you have the right to do that to them. It means you don't do things to others you don't want done to you regardless of what other people do to you. You are in charge of your life and your reactions and while others may not be nice to you, do your best to be nice to them.
In Matthew Chapter 5 it says:
43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
Heavenly Father and Jesus want us to love everyone no matter what. It may not be easy but I know I can do it with Heavenly Father's help. All this reading of Confucius today has brought this into focus and I am so grateful for everything in my life, the hard times and the good times. I know everything happens for a reason and I am so grateful for the knowledge I have because of the gospel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I don't even want to know what my life would be like without it.
No comments:
Post a Comment